Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!!!

All I can say about this week is...wow.  What a whirlwind.  I am just overwhelmed with a feeling of gratitude--to the 60+ people who came out to see the show in Philly and New Haven, and to apple cider vinegar/my body for getting me through 8 shows in two cities with a horrendous upper respiratory infection (thought it was reflux phlegm...till I started coughing it up.  Yep, not reflux anymore!).


Tuesday (12/27) was our first day back from our two-week Christmas break, and also pretty much the BEST DAY EVER. =)  Thank you to everyone who came out that day, and the rest of this week--thank you especially for the entrance applause, the restaurant chanting, and making me weep at curtain call...I just feel so blessed. =)


Friends at the stage door!


We had four shows in Philly in two days--phew, welcome back, folks!--at the gorgeous old Merriam Theatre--and I had friends and family at all of them!  It was such a great couple days catching up with everyone...like Christmas all over again!  And it was unbelievable to be performing in one of the theatres that was Broadway to me when I was growing up.


Speaking of which--I think I mentioned that in one of several interviews I did leading up to the Philly shows--here are the links to all of them!  Two are South Jersey papers, and two are Philadelphia suburb papers:


Courier Post: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011312250002
Gloucester County Times: http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/towns/index.ssf/2011/12/washington_twp_native_plays_gl.html
Montgomery News Co.: 
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articles/2011/12/20/entertainment/doc4ef10123309b8538946735.txt?viewmode=fullstory
Allentown Morning Call (scroll down for this one!): 
http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/arts/theater/mc-theater-1222-20111221,0,2837621,full.story


I also got my first fan mail of the tour in Philly!  That's kind of an exaggeration, but I did get a few emails and a facebook message from people who saw the show and loved it. =)  It was very flattering, and also incredibly encouraging, since I've been fighting illness all week and felt pretty terrible about some of the shows.


Beautiful sparkly pink Glinda flowers from friends!


Thursday morning, we headed out of Philly and on to New Haven...yep, back onto the floor of the bus!  And for longer than expected...the three hour drive turned into more than six with all the holiday traffic we were fighting.  Note to self: just don't take 95 next time.  Poor life decision.


We had four shows in New Haven (right by Yale) and much of it is a blur for me...I feel like I spent most of it hydrating and medicating!  We raced to get ready for the show after our late arrival Thursday night, and then Friday I had more visitors!  Some of my best friends from Montclair drove out to see the show--and we went to Pepe's before, a famous New Haven pizza place that was supposedly responsible for bringing pizza to America.  It was SO GOOD.


Saturday was my most boring New Year's ever...I went down to the bar for about a half hour, rang in the new year with my cast, and went right back up to my hotel room to drink more tea, take Nyquil, gargle apple cider vinegar...and pass out.  Worth it, though, because all in all it's been a pretty incredible year. =)


And today, Sunday, we had our final show at the Shubert Theatre...after mass in St. Mary's--established in 1832, the second oldest Catholic parish in Connecticut. So much history this week...the Shubert opened in 1914 and is where hundreds of pre-Broadway tryouts and world premieres have taken place--more than any other theatre in the country--including Oklahoma!, back in 1943!  Check it out: http://www.shubert.com/shubert-theater/the-history.  Incredible. =) Sutton Foster, now a multiple Tony Award winner, came through here as a teenage chorus girl on a tour and her signature's on the wall backstage by her show's logo...and now we all get to become a part of that history!  Our lovely props mistress painted our logo on one of the walls backstage so we got to sign it as well.  There are probably hundreds of these lining the walls backstage, and under the stage, all over...it was amazing.


Our logo and signatures! A work in progress when I
took this but it was finished later =)

Signatures of past performers inside my dressing table...
you better believe I added mine to the bunch!

The Shubert...during loadout! So much history
took place right here... =)


Now, it's off to Kansas in the morning!  We have a brief random one-week layoff, so I'm going to visit Dan, and then we pick back up in Florida next week.


Coming soon...a recap of the last few weeks of the tour before our Christmas break...I promise!  And more pics soon, too!


xoxo


Kelly =)

No comments:

Post a Comment