Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Back in the city...but not for long!

Hi all!


I know you've all been anxiously awaiting my next update...anyone...? Haha. =)


I got back from Arizona a few weeks ago, April 1 (In case you missed my last post, I was doing Sunset Boulevard at Arizona Broadway Theatre in Peoria, AZ--performing in the ensemble and understudying the role of Betty)--and bussed right up to NYC the next day for my first audition! While I was in Arizona, I had been called in for an appointment to audition for Brenda in the upcoming Catch Me If You Can tour (yep, based on the movie!)...pretty exciting because tour auditions are usually an all day affair, getting there with 400 other girls at 6 in the morning and trying to stay awake until you actually go in the room--if you're lucky enough to get seen at all!


A little backstory: the rep from this casting agency had seen me at UPTAs--United Professional Theatre Auditions, an audition conference in Memphis I attended in early February and totally forgot to mention in my last update! At UPTAs, I auditioned for about 70 different theatre/entertainment companies from all over the country, and 31 companies were interested in me! Pretty exciting. =) I had a bunch of callbacks while I was there, and got a handful of offers in the following weeks--from a theatre in Mississippi, a summer theatre in Kentucky, Dollywood, and a theatre/touring company in Georgia. I ended up taking the job in Mississippi at New Stage Theatre, playing Suzy in The Marvelous Wonderettes--one of the shows I did last summer actually, but a different role, which'll be fun! I'll be there May 8-June 17. Here's the theatre's website, for more info: www.newstagetheatre.com.



I also was able to accept the offer from the theatre in Georgia since it didn't overlap...and it's actually the same show and role! I'm even more excited for this production because it's directed by Roger Bean, the man who created the show. The woman who created the role of Suzy (the character I'm playing) is setting the original New York choreography, and I believe we're using the sets and costumes from the New York production as well. We start rehearsals October 23 for this one, run through November 17, and then come back in January for brush-up rehearsals before heading out on tour for three months! Here's the theatre's website--although I think it's too early for tour info to be up: www.springeroperahouse.org.


Another super exciting thing happened while I was in Arizona--I got to go on for Betty, the character I understudied, the last week of the show! It was a terrifying and challenging but really incredible experience...all in all, it went smoothly, no one died, and after all was said and done...I did it! I just posted an album of pictures from Arizona on facebook and there are a bunch of me in the Betty costumes. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100127554711392.2300486.26111938&type=1&l=8eb275a00f


And, a little preview:


Terrified and about to go on!

Later on, in Betty's last costume...mission accomplished!

I also did a couple cabarets while in Arizona and posted videos on facebook/my youtube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/kelster826)--and I just posted some new ones from last summer's cabaret there as well.

And...I also had a really wonderful time in Arizona! The weather was absolutely perfect, I got a pretty bangin' tan, and I got to perform in a show I was incredibly proud of eight times a week. Plus, I made some great new friends--including two lovely, very like-minded roommates--one of the highlights of the 7 weeks was the princess party we threw for my roommate's birthday. Everyone was told to come dressed as their favorite princess...and we had some pretty impressive costumes--everything from Belle and Ariel and Pocahontas, to Princess Grace, to Kate Middleton, to...Voldemort? We had some people stretch the theme a bit and come as villains... =)



Princess party! Look at our apt!
Cake, cupcakes, decorations... =)
A collection of Disney princes(ses)...Aida (kind of), Ariel,
Mulan, Hercules, Pocahontas, and Belle!



Roomies...first night out!

Out and about again, later on!



The ladies of Sunset Boulevard, in our New Year's attire!
(Yup, I'm blonde...)



Blondie! "Mary"...
but we'll call her Marilyn =)

Sunset Boulevard crazies!!




So, since I've been back, I've just been living in the city...auditioning...taking some classes...seeing shows...and trying to take advantage of my very short time here before heading out the first week of May! I've had some exciting callbacks, and it's been really good to get back into class...I can't help but feel like I'm on the right path, right where I need to be right now...at least, I hope I am! Still waiting to see if something turns up for the rest of the summer, but if not, it might be nice to come back to the city and just live life for a few months. =)


Much love, and more updates to follow soon...from Mississippi!

xoxo

Kelly

2 comments:

  1. Kelly! I was definitely one who was anxiously awaiting your next update...glad to see so many exciting opportunities are opening up for you! I'll keep an eye out for when you come back to Philly...good luck and break a leg!
    -Andrew Hughes, Number One Fan

    ReplyDelete